|Message From Minister & Secretary||
Social change is a constant and complex phenomenon. It requires slow, gradual and long term process through a strong policy framework because it involves changes in traditions, customs, folkways and socio-cultural patterns. The key challenges confronting the country are many and varied, poverty, ignorance, ill health, mal-nutrition, drug addiction and economic imbalance besides luring focus i.e. aberration from the right path of Deen. Social Welfare is concerned with the well being and up lift of he community at large and the vulnerable groups in particular. Focus of programmes will be for the neglected, disadvantaged, under privileged and exploited section of our society, i.e. the Children, Women particularly the destitute, Aged, Disabled, Indigent, Beggars, Drug Addicts etc.Social Welfare is a vital sector of the National Development. It motivates voluntary efforts on the basis of self-help and mobilization of both human and material resources to supplement Government's efforts and accelerate development process. It has two-fold approach i.e. Public Sector Development and Voluntary Sector Program. Welfare activities are much needed in poor communities and neglected segments of our society where financial and technical resources are limited. The programmes of social welfare & community development undertaken by the Department of Social Welfare aim at eradicating social evils , from the society, rehabilitation of the disabled and the handicapped, formulation of schemes / programmes directed towards meeting social needs, mitigating sufferings and bringing about cultural and psychological changes and systematic / uniformed socio-economic growth to ensure poverty alleviation.
1. Creation of Social awareness among the people for identification of Social needs and their contribution to community development and Welfare programmes.
2. Exploration and exploitation of community resources at local level for launching Social Welfare programmes within the local Communities.
3. Development and extension of remedial, curative, vocational and rehabilitation services for handicapped, destitute and other socially oppressed groups.
4. To establish and develop Welfare activities for destitute women, orphans and homeless children. (establishment of Industrial Training Centres & Welfare Homes).
5. To encourage developmental efforts on self-help basis through Community Development Projects.
6. To coordinate implementation of articles of CRC (Convention on the Rights of the Child).
7. Rehabilitation of drug addicts.
8.To impart special education and skill training to blinds, dumb, deaf and physically handicapped and mentally retarded children.
9.Registration, professional guidance and financial assistance to voluntary Social Welfare agencies for strengthening, improving and promoting their activities, coordination amongst NGOs / Donors and concerned government departments.
10.To develop and promote local leadership and public participation and involvement of local communities at community level.